Being a part of someone’s wedding day is a big honor. But did you ever think about what really goes into being a part of the bridal party, and more specifically, what does it really mean to be a groomsman? Most ladies know what to expect when agreeing to be a bridesmaid, but for groomsmen, other than bachelor party planning, most guys don’t know what their responsibilities are. Before you think your job is to simply throw a night the groom will probably forget and hide in the background on the wedding day, listen up! In fact, without the groomsmen, there would be a lot more cold feet and a lot less of a party to enjoy. Here are a few of the responsibilities to keep in mind when taking on the role of groomsman for your friend’s wedding.
1. Right-Hand Men – Wedding planning can in fact be overwhelming for the groom, too. Offering your help with any wedding related tasks is sure to be appreciated, whether it’s running a quick errand or dropping off decor to the facility
2. Formalwear – It goes without saying that you’re going to have to look your best on the wedding day. The cost in purchasing or renting your formal attire for the event is up to the groomsmen.
3. Pre-Wedding Fun – Happily attend all pre-weding events, such as the engagement party, wedding shower (if co-ed), rehearsal, and rehearsal dinner.
4. Bachelor Party – Help the best man plan [and pay] for the bachelor party. This can include offering ideas, researching, and booking flights and the hotel (if planning a guys getaway).
5. Wedding Day Prep – In most cases, the groomsmen meet the groom at one central location to relax and get ready together.
6. Ushers – The bride and groom may ask some of the groomsmen to act as ushers during the ceremony, where you will usher guests to their seats. Other groomsmen may also be asked to hand out ceremony programs to guests as they enter the ceremony location.
7. Party Starters – At the beginning of the wedding reception, you’ll be introduced, along with a bridesmaid. After you have fun taking center stage, it will be your job to keep the party going throughout the evening. If guests see that you’re having fun on the dance floor, it’s likely they will join in, too!