While the bride and her bridesmaids seek high and low for the perfect gowns, the groom and his groomsmen have a search of their own: to rent or purchase their formalwear. Let’s be honest. Fashion and style isn’t necessarily a guy’s cup of tea. Sure, he dresses to impress, but on your wedding day, it’s so much more than simply putting on your tuxedo or suit and showing up. Are you ready to start looking for your very dapper look, but need a little guidance? Well, lucky for you, we’re sharing FIVE tips to help make your shopping experience fun and stress-free.
1. Do your Research – No two stores are alike, so be sure to do your research before walking into just any store and signing a contract. Start your search by reading reviews online AND physically visiting a few different formalwear shops before making any decisions. This will give you the opportunity to see the store’s selections, as well as see how the consultant interacts with you. Some questions you might want to keep in mind are: Does he/she answer all questions? Is he/she providing the best service possible? Is he/she listening to your wants and needs? If the consultant isn’t keeping your best interest in mind, then it’s time to keep looking for a reliable store you can trust. A personalized experience is key!
2. Start Early – Grooms, you may not need to put in as much effort or time for choosing your formal attire, but that doesn’t mean you should wait until the last minute to make arrangements. Starting early will allow for plenty of time to do your homework and schedule in-person consultations (if needed).
3. Get Tailored – Once you choose your menswear, your consultant should know how to properly measure you (inseam, waist, jacket size, etc.). Don’t forget to also inform your groomsmen to get their measurements taken ahead of time, too. This will ensure that all of the tuxedos or suits will arrive on time for your special day.
4. Accessorize Accordingly – This is where you can let your personalities shine through. Once you decide on your tuxedo or suit, choose accessories to coordinate with your wedding style and/or theme through a tie, bow tie, cufflinks, pocket square, and color coordinating socks! (Cufflinks, bow ties and socks make great groomsmen gifts, too!)
5. The Details – Don’t forget to relay all costs to your groomsmen and read through the entire client agreement (including the fine print) before making any commitments. Take note of pricing, pick up and drop off times, and any hidden fees.
Are you a groom-to-be who recently purchased or rented your formalwear? Tell us about your experience by leaving a comment below. We would love to hear from you!